Monday, 16 July 2012

The Day the Olympics Came To Town


The torch arrived in Worthing today and I had been looking forward to it for weeks. I'd not done anything to celebrate the royal wedding last year nor the Jubilee this year and so I was determined to be British and jolly well get involved. This after all was history and very possible something that will never again happen in my life time and definitely not something the awful rainy weather could deter me from. 

My father also wanted to come down and had left his work in Basingstoke with two hours to spare only to find himself stuck in the traffic of the previous Olympic torch destination of Arundel. Therefore it was down to me to fly the (metaphorical) flag and represent the Hayes family.

The roads were lined with parked cars up to a mile away and the streets were full of people making their way to Broadwater. Flags were waved, whistles were blowing, kids were excited. I was determined to take some amazing pictures and really capture the atmosphere.

I arrived with ten minutes to spare and had decided to walk a little way down to find the perfect spot, only the further I travelled the more condensed it got. I turned back in fear of not finding a gap with the minutes ticking away, greatly aware that time was running out. Luckily a few customers from the pub I work in own a house over looking the route with a very nicely placed balcony at the front. These fine fellow swooped to my rescue and gave me a view that the queen would have been jealous of. I was very regal indeed!

Now after the build-up, the hurrying, the worry and concern, the big moment was upon me. There I was, camera poised, zoom action practised, finger ready... only for my camera to seriously let me down. I managed just two pictures that day of the bearer. The flame is hidden by a tree in one and the other is of the back of his head. Oh Dear.

Anyway I thought I'd post the second picture and there is also one below of bunting.... everyone likes a bit of bunting.



2 comments:

  1. How exciting!!! I think that first pic is pretty awesome. I wish I was there!

    http://naomemandeflores.com/en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I looked at your blog. I'm very intrigued to hear how you came across mine.

      Delete